Pages

Two kids, two lifetimes, a world apart

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Blog Worthy

I have mixed feelings about blogs. I read them, but, deep down, I have always found bloggers to be either pathetic or arrogant. You're pathetic if you spend hours and hours blogging about a TV show or celebrity culture. I mean, c'mon. Get a life. You're arrogant if you blog about yourself, or your obsessions. I mean, c'mon. Who really cares?

That's why I never thought of blogging before. Now, mind you, I read both of the above-types of blogs and often enjoy them and find them entertaining. I just couldn't see myself joining the
blogosphere. Too much of a snob, I guess.

But now I feel I have an issue that jumps my own psychological hurdles or modesty/prudery or whatever you want to call it. I have been given the gift of living two lifetimes, as it were. I have two children -- only two -- spaced nearly a quarter-century apart. My daughter was born in 1985. 1985, when the first Back to the Future movie came out! 1985, when nobody had ever heard of Bill Clinton! 1985, a year that saw the first inklings of hair metal!


It was definitely another era.

So now, back in the second decade of the Aughts (a time only dimly conceived when my daughter was born -- remember the obsessive references to 1984 and Y2K as the century drew to a close?), as my daughter was approaching her 25th birthday, I found that I was pregnant (much to my surprise) at the age of 45. My husband and I were shocked. In March, I gave birth (without complications) to a bouncing baby boy named Jericho.

In the '80s, a time when I diapered my daughter using cloth diapers and DIAPER PINS, I essentially lived life off the grid as a single mom in the backwoods of Northern California and Oregon. Today, I am a married urban professional in a big city. I am a different person. I am living a different life. Are my children being raised by different people?

I feel the need to sort out these questions, which is why I have done the cliched 21st Century thing and started a blog. Few women get to (or would want to?) live this situation. Men do. But having the opportunity to raise children in essentially two different eras, without overlap, is both confusing and interesting.

I feel it is also blogworthy. I hope you do as well.




1 comment:

Popular Posts