Pages

Two kids, two lifetimes, a world apart

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Minding the Gap

Big generational gaps run in my family. My grandmother was the youngest of 7 and was raised alongside her nieces and nephews. She was more of a contemporary of her niece -- her best friend and enemy -- than of her brothers or sisters.

My grandfather had a child out of wedlock who was my age. My father had a son in his second marriage who is younger than my daughter. Jade's "Uncle Cameron" is two years her junior. And Jade is much older than her cousins, my sisters' kids. She's more like an aunt to them than a first cousin.

So the pattern continues. It must be our family's floral print. A generation out of sync with other limbs on the family tree.

And like my dad, who was 50 when Cameron was born, I'll be "old" when Jericho is hitting his stride as a teenager and young adult. With Jade, I was a cool mom, at least according to her friends. With Jericho, I'll be the age of some of his friends' grandparents.

That's a sobering thought. And it was sobering to think that, when Jade was born, my own mother was 47. At the time, not ready to be a grandmother, but she grew into the role. She's now a young 72, but it's scary to think that I'll be about her age when Jericho is Jade's age.

Time and age are relative. That's going to be my mantra.

Just like I had to pay extra attention to my health when pregnant with Jericho, due to my age and other health problems. I'll have to keep myself healthy so I can see this kid into adulthood and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts